Total Pageviews

13 March 2011

Japan in our thoughts


I've got to admit, before today I was completely in the dark about the tragedies that have been tearing through Japan's coastal regions over the last few days.  I was elsewhere doing irrelevant things and hadn't bothered to watch the news.  Today I read on the BBC that the consequences of the earthquake and tsunami will result in a loss of life that has not be reached since Japan's WWII involvement and the death toll  is predicted to reach 10,000 in single areas alone.  It was just over six years ago that the countries fringing the Indian Ocean were hit by a series of earthquakes, which produced tidal waves of enormous capability and shocked and horrified the world.  It's an unimaginable case of dejavu, with footage once again showing people fleeing from rapidly approaching walls of water, cars desperately trying to outdrive the full force of the ocean and everything from buildings, boats and vehicles being swept along as the water literally surged inland.  

From my computer, it was surreal to acknowledge the people in cars as actual people, that the heartbreak and loss of life that literally unfolded before my eyes was every bit genuine footage.  In an attempt to pass the blame, I feel angry at the film industry for the part it plays in immunizing society from the shock of real disasters and for the momentary disbelief that I felt when I watched the footage.  It is a horrible horrible thing that has happened to Japan and the only consolation we can take is that some were able to evacuate the area beforehand.  To those left behind, hopefully aid will come in abundance from any countries or individuals that are able to give.  I hope we can all keep praying for those that are suffering, who have lost homes and families and have the mammoth task and responsibility of rebuilding their lives. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12725485
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

1 comment: