Total Pageviews

2 February 2011

To apply, or not to apply?

A contemporary look at one of Shakespeare's most famous poems.  I wanted to write something this morning but my mind was jammed with a single line that I couldn't shake off.  'To apply, or not to apply'.  It amused me that my full time occupation as a job hunter was somehow my main inspiration for a literary pursuit and so I had a giggle imagining a 21st century William Shakespeare, pouring himself over guardianjobs.com with a pencil behind one ear pondering 'to apply or not to apply'.   
I wonder whether a modern-day William would have have suffered the same woes as the contemporary job seeker?

To apply, or not to apply: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of rejection letters,
And by opposing end them?  To cry: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That self-esteem is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd.  To cry, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of unrest what nightmares may come
When we turned our back to fate's resolve, 

Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The judge's cruel verdict, the hopeful aspirant's despair,
The pangs of failure?

No comments:

Post a Comment