Total Pageviews

2 February 2011

Elijah Bossenbroek

http://www.elijahbossenbroek.com

The first time I heard this pianist play, I only had access to one of his songs,- 'Harmony In Disarray'. It was during university exams and I remember sitting on my bed crossed legged just staring at sheets and sheets of notes trying to force my brain into submission.  I was feeling quite frustrated and dejected as you do when you're deeply involved in study and just listening to the notes made me imagine I was in a whole other world playing the piano.  It was the kind of music that quite literally takes you away. 

So, I Google searched Elijah and found his [understated] website, which had a selection of his music available to listen to and buy.  'Harmony In Disarray' quickly became replaced by 'Song of Simplicity' as my favourite.  He often uses repetition of particular note patterns, giving each piece so much melody and emotion and I love that he's not afraid to use just the one hand.  It makes it all the more dramatic when he brings in the second hand as he does mid way through Song of Simplicity.  It's intense!

This genre of music is the one that I most relate to as a person; I like symmetry, patterns, detail - they are perfunctory traits of my personality, and Elijah's music is full of profundity and rich note arrangements.  My hands seem to understand the music harmonies far more than with other music styles and I believe this has developed out of a love for Nyman's 'The Heart Asks Pleasure First', featured on the film 'The Piano'.This was the first piece I ever learned by heart and to this day I marvel at its expressive beauty and stamina.  I recommend to anyone with a heart for music to visit Elijah's website http://www.elijahbossenbroek.com and listen to some truly exquisite music. :-) Enjoy my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment